Plex, a popular app for watching media from your personal collection, is getting an update to its Android TV app. Version 18.104.22.1688 fixes a handful of bugs and provides some additional polish to both the mobile and TV app. A full changelog was posted on Plex’s forums.
– Add support for VC1 playback in MKV, for devices which support it.
– Add support for 16-bit PCM playback in MKV.
– Add support for direct playing MOV.
– Allow anamorphic video to be remuxed.
– Post-play screen following video playback.
– Add Rotten Tomatoes reviews to movie preplay screen.
– Show currently playing item in new embedded mini-player (mobile only).
– [Android TV] Support library scanning.
– [Android TV] Add support for Refresh Rate Switching on Marshmallow based devices (not just the NVIDIA SHIELD).
– [Android TV] Add lyrics support.
– [Fire TV] Cloud sync server support.
– [Fire TV] Mobile server support.
– [Fire TV] Clock (can be enabled in Settings < Main). FIXES: - Correctly update track information in audio player when playing synced content. - Improve reliability of refresh rate switching when preference enabled. - Don't display "Headphones Disconnected" when playing a video and switching refresh rate. - Fix bug where adding a track to a playlist would add the entire album. - Improve video player buffer calculation to reduce buffering and issues where video wouldn't restart. - Improve reliability of remote control. - Fix bug where audio playback didn't resume from current offset after disconnecting from a remote player. - Fix bug where "Previous" button in audio player could crash the app. - Try (again) to fix issue where playing a synced video would sometimes result in a crash. - Fix cells not being cleared during fast scrolls. - Fix bug where relayed connections wouldn't work when application was launched after a fresh install. - Don't reset scroll position of preplay page when device is rotated - [Android TV] Fix grids misalignment when sorting if there's missing info. - [Android TV] Don't show Episode actions for Movies in the Playlist view. - [Android TV] Play from Show/Season page should start from first unwatched episode. - [Fire TV] Various bug fixes and improvements.
Notable changes to Android TV include lyrics support, library scanning, and switching the refresh rate for different types of displays. On the side of bug fixes, one big one is being able to play a tv show from the first unwatched episode. It’s now more convenient to catch up on the last episode of Game of Thrones without having to browse through every episode in your collection, because you’re more likely to watch that new episode than previous ones.
Movies aren’t TV shows, so it makes sense to clear up some of the actions you can take for different types of video. Plex seems to continue iterating and adding improvements to their TV app, and this new update is a continuation of that.